Skip to main content

I have been sexually harassed by a teacher, yet the school has refused to tell me how they handled it. Is it legal for them?

Closter, NJ |

The teacher made inappropriate and sexual comments about my blouse. There were students who claimed that he did make those comments. Yet, the principal simply said that the students had a history of lying so he cannot believe them. The teacher still works at the school and the school refuses to tell me or my parents how they handled the situation. Is that legal?

He made those comments throughout the day directly to me, such as asking if I purchased the blouse at the romantic lingerie department and that the blouse is raunchy. He followed me around the whole day jokingly pointing out that my blouse was see through.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


I am unclear from your statement if the teacher actually made the comments or if the other students told you that they were made. Please feel free to have your parents contact me directly to discuss the matter.

Benjamin G. Kelsen IF YOU LIKE THIS ANSWER PLEASE INDICATE YOUR APPRECIATION BY SELECTING IT AS "BEST ANSWER." Law Offices of Benjamin G. Kelsen, Esq. LLC 1415 Queen Anne Road, Suite 206, Teaneck, NJ 07666 Phone: 201-692-0073/ Fax: 201-692-0151 Web Site: / Email: NOT LEGAL ADVICE: The above information may contain an opinion which does not constitute legal advice. Unless a retainer agreement has been signed, we are not your legal representatives, and you should not rely on any opinions contained in this message.

Kevin Rindler Madison

Kevin Rindler Madison


I would take Mr. Kelsen up on his generous offer.


Your parents would be wise to consult with an attorney familiar with school/education law and after a thorough review of all of the facts then he or she can give you some legal advice. If the principal is not doing anything about this teacher and the teacher made these statements it probably needs to go up to the next level- school board or school superintendent.

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. I hope my information is helpful to you. If you think this post was a good answer, please click the "Good Answer" button below and/or designate my answer as the "BEST ANSWER". Thanks. This is a general response to a question for basic information and is not legal advice. Legal advice can only be given when all of the facts of your situation are discussed with a lawyer, which we have not done.. If you reside outside the State of Texas please understand that the laws may be different from the laws that I may cite in a my comment. This comment is not to be construed as legal advice to your particular situation because there are many factors that influence legal counseling- this is simply a comment. Response to an email does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and the Law Offices of Kevin R. Madison, P.C., nor any of its attorneys. If you send us an e-mail, or call us, and we do not already represent you, neither your e-mail inquiry nor telephone call will create an attorney-client relationship. E-mails cannot necessarily be treated as privileged or confidential. Only entering into a written legal services contract with the Law Offices of Kevin R. Madison, P.C. will create an attorney-client relationship. There is no substitute for one-on-one legal advice and you are urged to meet with an attorney and discuss your case, personally, with an attorney in the state in which you reside or your case occurred. Thank you. Kevin R. Madison. Visit our website at and Kevin Madison, Austin, Texas- representing injured persons in motor vehicle collision, truck and motorcucle accidents and representing victims of sexual harassment, sexual assault, sexual abuse, physical assaults, and representing victims of sexual exploitation committed by doctors, therapists, psychologists, psychiatrists, clergy, counselors, priests, and rabbis. Visit our sexual harassment/sexual exploitation blog at


Your parents need to stop trying to deal with the school board and invest in a consultation with a lawyer experienced in harassment and discrimination cases. Your best bet is an employment lawyer, because most incidents of sexual harassment occur in the workplace and they handle these issues routinely. Good luck.

A response to a question posted on Avvo is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. It is informational only. Allan E. Richardson, Esq. Richardson, Galella & Austermuhl 142 Emerson ST., Woodbury, NJ 08096 856-579-7045.

Kevin Rindler Madison

Kevin Rindler Madison


I agree- lawyer up, now.


More facts are needed to evaluate. Have a local Closter sexual harassment lawyer investigate.

Employment topics

Recommended articles about Employment

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer