I have been replaced. Can I collect unemployment?

Asked over 1 year ago - Seattle, WA

My employer informed me I was being replaced with someone they believed would be more fiscally responsible & better able to bring down costs. I technically did nothing wrong, but in their eyes am not able to accomplish a major objective of theirs. do you think I can qualify for unemployment in WA state?
Thank You

1. Julie Anne Oberbillig

Pro

2

Answered . Yes. It sounds as though 1) you were terminated; 2) your employer does not accuse you of misconduct; and 3) is looking for a person who would be a better "fit." Based on the facts that you've provided above (and so long as the employer reports the same thing to the Employment Security Dept that they stated to you), I believe that you will be able to collect unemployment benefits. If you have any trouble collecting benefits or are denied at the first level, feel free to give me a call. Good luck.

2. Thuong-Tri Nguyen

2

Answered . You can review the free information at www.esd.wa.gov to see whether you qualify for unemployment benefits.

One requirement is that you have accumulated enough work hours.

3. Meghan Hayes Slack

2

Answered . If your employer fired you, you should file for unemployment. It sounds like you would probably be eligible for benefits, but if your employer contests your claim for some reason, you should seriously consider hiring a local employment attorney to help you pursue your claim.

Bottom line - there is no foreseeable harm to filing for benefits and filing is the only way to get your benefits and answer your question.