I have been paying on my account at a hospital in Michigan, the turned me over to collections.

Washington, MI |

I have been paying my bill every month, the hospital tuned me over to collections telling me that the payment was not applied to the date of service that they sent to collections, it was applied to other dates. This is rediculous, I have no control over which service dates they apply the money too when I send it in. As long as I am paying my bill how can they send it to collections, how does that effect my credit scores.

Unless you have a written agreement with them detailing a payment plan, they are under no obligation to accept any amount of money you send them - they are entitled to be paid in full. Period. If you don't, they can send it to collections. Clearly, being reported as a delinquent debtor in collections will damage your score - the extent? No way to know - pull a report with a score and find out.

We can be reached at 507.334.0155 (Toll Free: 888.777.5009). Our web address is: www. corbin-law-office.com. Answers on Avvo are not to be considered a response to a specific legal issue in a specific jurisdiction - they are to be considered only general responses to hypothetical scenarios posed by the questioner. For specific legal advice, please consult with a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction. No information contained herein should be construed as a solicitation for business, an offer to perform legal services in any jurisdiction in which the attorneys of Corbin Law Office are not licensed, or the dissemination of legal advice. No creation of an attorney-client relationship should be assumed or implied. We are a debt relief agency. Corbin Law Office helps people file for bankruptcy relief under the bankruptcy code.

Do you have an installment payment program in writing with the hospital? Have you been incurring additional bills?
There is little question you credit score will be effected by the referrals to collections.
If you have further questions call. If you are making a payment agreement you should have it reviewed by an attorney prior to signing.

To the PROSPECTIVE client, please call myself or another attorney for you choice with more detaiils and an appointment. My PRELIMINARY answer to your question(s) is for general purposes and based upon what little information you have conveyed. It is based on such limited information that the general answer should never be relied as a reason for your action or inaction. My response does NOT establish an attorney-client relationship and such may only be established by mutual agreement, and the signing of a written retainer agreement, which will generally require payment for our services, as this is what we do for a living and, just like you, we must get paid for our work.. .

I agree that you should pull a credit report. Go to www.annualcreditreport.com to do so. Its the website that is endorsed by the US and its free. Be weary of any "pay to pull" websites.

I am an attorney licensed to practice law in Ohio and some Federal Courts throughout the United States. I am not answering your question to solicit you as a client and there is a good chance that I am not licensed to practice law in the state that you reside. I hope that you find my assistance beneficial and, at most, use my advise as a finger pointing in the right direction. An attorney client relationship is not established by posting back and forth online. One of the most beneficial aspects of working with an attorney is the attorney client privilege which does not exist when you post personal facts online to faceless strangers. Hire an attorney if you want specific legal advise. If you cannot afford one, call your local bar association or search "(your city) legal aid" online. The fact that you took the time to post your question online likely means that you could use the aid of an attorney. Call around your area and see if any local attorneys offer free consultations.

It will likely affect your credit score. Feel free to message me and I might be able to put you in touch with an attorney in your state who can help to determine if the collectors have violated your rights, as well as the creditor.

Please do not take my answer to be legal advice that would establish any attorney-client relationship. Please take it as a general response from my own experience in response to your question. I hope you find it helpful.

Medical bills are usually due all at once, before the date indicated on the invoice. You may choose to pay them little by little, however, the hospital is under no obligation to defer sending you to a collection agency despite the partial payments. This will certainly affect your credit score and only the credit bureaus can tell you the extent of damage that has been done. I advise that you enter into a settlement negotiation or payment plan with the hospital or the collection agency. Bankruptcy is also an option to eliminate the bills if you can no longer handle them.