Skip to main content

I have been married to my husband for 8 years.He is a U.S. citizen.I'm not yet.How can being married to him help me be a U.S.cit

Anaheim, CA |

How can being married to a U.S. citizen help me get my citizenship?

Attorney Answers 3


You can apply for naturalization if you are a permanent resident married to USC and living with your USC spouse, for at least 3 years.

This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. Any comments offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship. If you would like additional information based on this response, please contact my office at 510 657 7665 or 415 902 0832 to schedule a consultation.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


Generally, you must be a green card holder for 5 years to apply for naturalization. However, if you have been married to a U.S. citizen for at least 3 years, you can apply for naturalization 3 years after you received your green card.

Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic, Skype or In-Person
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: (English) (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

13 lawyers agree


I agree. If you obtained your lawful permanent resident status from a petition by your spouse, then you may apply for US citizenship status 3 years from the date you obtained your lawful permanent resident status.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics