I have been married for 2 years with a US Citizen. Am I eligible for a green card?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Orangeburg, NY

I came to the united states at the age of 11 and i am now 24 years of age.
I married my wife (US citizen) and our lawyer suggested that i go with the deferred action instead of the marriage status because the marriage status was only giving me 1 year permission to work here and deferred action is giving me 2 years. but i don't know if the residency process stop according to my lawyer it stop because you cannot run two things at once. the deferred action and my getting a status from my wife.
any suggestions friends?

1. 4

Answered . You can have both things filed at the same time -- deferred action and family sponsorship, no problem. If you entered the country with a visa, you should be able to adjust status. Otherwise, you may need a waiver. More information is needed to advise you on these things properly. However, make sure you have an experienced immigration lawyer to assist you with any of the process you will be doing.

2. 2

Answered . you can do both. Whether you can adjust will depend on how you came to the US. Otherwise, you may need to apply for an immigrant visa and will require the waiver. You and your wife should speak to a different attorney or two.

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.
  3. 1

Answered . If you did not enter on a visa or in a legal way, you may not be eligible for adjustment of status. You will be needing a waiver of unlawful presence instead. Deferred action is something you can apply for to get work permit and protection while your application is pending or if for any reason it is denied.

Dhenu Savla, Esq.
    SwagatUSA, LLC
    www.swagatusa.com/attorney

This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not meant to be relied upon as legal advice.