Skip to main content

I have been legally separated for less than a year and the judgement has gone through already (last Dec 2012).

Irvine, CA |

However , My lawyer didn't souapeana my ex retirement plan to find out if there are community assets on it. I am wondering can I do it through small claim court by my self since I cant afford family attorney? if not how family lawyer can souapeana it , and can get documents directly from company? pelase give me details message regard it.

Attorney Answers 1

  1. Small claims court won't do this. You need to go through a family law court. If the judgment contained a clause in it that reserved jurisdiction on the assets and the reitrmeent, then you only need to file a joinder of the pension plan. You will need to do a QDRO order though. That would probably take the services of an attorney.

Marriage and prenups topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics