I have been issued a Civil Summons, over charged off credit card debt, what should I do?

Asked about 2 years ago - Kingston, TN

PORTFOLIO RECOVERY ASSOCIATES, LLC., bought a charged off credit card debt from GE CAPITAL RETAIL BANK LOWES, they had a local attorney serve me with a civil summons, to appear in General Sessions Court, in Tennessee. I have never been contacted by the local attorney prior to the Civil Summons, and to the best of my knowledge, I have never been contacted by PORTFOLIO RECOVERY ASSOCIATES, LLC. I have never been asked to validate the debt, or given a chance to either confirm or deny I owe the debt. I have less than 30 days until I have to appear in court. What should I do? Should I file a dispute? Can I have the Summons dismissed until given a chance to have the debt validated?

1. 1

1

Answered . I agree with Mr. Cantrell's answer. I would be happy to provide you a free consultation regarding the issues specific to your case.

2. 1

1

Answered . Is Nathan Horton representing Portfolio or is it Morgan and Pottinger. I have seen Fulton and Freidman pick up some as of late. No matter really, you can win with an experienced consumer protection attorney.

Jason Barnette
    Barnette Law Offices
    309 Hollow Tree Court
    Nashville, TN 37221
    615-585-2245
    info@barnettelawoffices.com
    http://www.barnettelawoffices.com

3. 3

Answered . You should consult with a local consumer protection attorney to see how much it would cost to have this debt collection action defended. You may also have counterclaims against the debt buyer. If you search the web, you will find a good bit of negative information about PRA. The papers that you were served should have included a notice about your right to request verification of the debt. You should write the attorney's office that has filed the lawsuit, and indicate that you dispute the debt and request verification of the debt. However, that will not stop the lawsuit. You also need to file a written answer to the lawsuit within the time stated in the Summons, but it would be better if an attorney did that for you, since that will be a better way to preserve your rights, and not say anything that might hurt your case. There may be defenses based on local law that only a local attorney would be aware of. You can look for a local collection defense attorney at the NACA link below.

4. 2

1

Answered . You asked three questions:

Q: "What should I do?"
    A: You should get an experienced consumer attorney to defend you. I suggest that you look for one at www.naca.net.

Q: "Should I file a dispute?"
    A: I anticipate that you will need to "file a dispute" in the form of an answer to the summons. This is a detail that you can work out with your attorney.

Q: "Can I have the Summons dismissed until given a chance to have the debt validated?"
    A: This question reflects a very common confusion about a consumer's rights under federal law to have a debt "validated" and the strict requirements of your state's court rules (which probably require the filing of a written answer with the court). It is risky in the extreme to rely on a request for validation to delay a court case, or to excuse your failure to file a written answer with the Court. This is why you need to have experienced counsel represent you.