I have been involved in a discrimination lawsuit. I have been blackballed and now cannot work.

Coolidge, AZ |

I have reason to believe that I have been blackballed. I think my ex employee has been giving me bad references. I am not going to list all of the details- unless you need them. I am in the process of proving that they are blackballing me. I am VERY IRRITATED with these people. When I prove it- should I file a second lawsuit? Or should I just keep the one I have??? Can I do both? I am NOT sue happy- but because of my irritation- I just want to get back at them. I can list all the details and horror stories- however I will try to keep it simple for now. TY.
ALSO as far as awarding best answer- I am not a lawyer- I do not think it would be fair for me to judge your answer. HOWEVER after about a week- I will choose the best answer according to other lawyer votes. TY

1. It is not unlawful for a former employer to give bad references unless the statements made are provably false statements of fact (not opinion). Complaints about bad references are common but they are among the least productive to pursue by legal action because the proof will almost always be impossible. NONE of the prospective employers to whom you think false statements of facts were made by your former employer are going to cooperate with you and give the evidence that you need to prove a case. That is just the fact of business. Those prospective employers do not have the time, energy, patience, or interest in getting drawn into your fight with your former employer.

And because your claim is, practically speaking, unprovable experienced attorneys will not be interested in handling your case on a contingent fee arrangement. Instead you will need to fund the case from your own pocket and you can expect attorneys fees and costs of at least $40,000 over approximately three years. You are unlikely to win, but if you do you are unlikely to win as much as it cost you to obtain the result in court.

Good luck with your current discrimination case. That is your best option at present.

As for your best answer contest, meh.

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.