I HAVE BEEN HIRED AS A MOTEL MANAGER WITHOUT PAY I ONLY GET TO LIVE IN THE ATTACHED HOUSE,IS THAT LEGAL?

Asked over 1 year ago - Stockton, CA

THERE ARE TWO OTHERS THAT WORK HERE AS WELL NONE OF US REC.PAY ONLY EITHER A ROOM AND ME THE HOUSE ,HERES MY QUESTION CAN I BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE FOR PAYING THEM

1. Michael Robert Kirschbaum

3

1

Answered . No, this is not a legal arrangement. Employers can allocate a certain portion of your compensation by providing room and board but California wage orders limit this amount. You need to see an employment law attorney to find out what your rights and obligations are.

2. Kara Danelle Keister

3

Answered . It is important that you consult with an attorney regarding your specific arrangment. You do not note if there is a written agreement between you and your employer, but Industrial Welfare Commission Order No. 5-2001 Section 10 provides that meals or lodging may not be credited against the minimum wage without a voluntary written agreement. In addition, the maximum amount of wages that rent may be credited against is 2/3 of the ordinary rental value and in no event, more than $451.89 per month (for one employee).

3. James Carl Eschen III

3

Answered . And no, you have no responsibility to pay the other two. They are the owner's employees, not yours.