I have been harassed, intimidated and bullied by my Supt. of Schools through his two novice elementary principals and himself.

Asked over 1 year ago - Mahwah, NJ

They orchestrated and carried out a tenure case against me, lied in court, the ALJ believed them, and I lost my teaching position. I am not guilty of anything insubordinate, physical or sexual abuse, negligence, sexual or criminal. How did I lose this case? I am now have severe difficulty finding a new job in education. They caused me to have a nervous breakdown afetr the trial last summer. I am deep in debt due to this corrupt Supt. and his "puppets" I am suffering from severe depression and anxiety over this and can prove it came from being bullied. Administrative bullying is real and few lawyers want to touch it. Why is that? I have a 10 year log on my Supt. and one of his "underlings" he appointed Principal of one of the elementary schools I was in. Please Help.

1. Christine C McCall

Pro

3

Answered . The reason that lawyers don't want to touch your case is that you have already had a due process hearing and the facts have been determined. Right or wrong, the result of the hearing is usually legally conclusive to to establish the facts of the matter. It can be a long and expensive fight to get that prior hearing negated, and all of the legal processes for accomplishing that result are both uncertain and unlikely in their outcome.

Look, the sad and harsh truth is that what our system of law provides is a right to legal process not a right to a specific result of legal process. When the affected person does not agree with the outcome of criminal charges, or of a civil lawsuit, or an administrative accusation, that person can't sue because the decision went the other way. If that was the case, there would be no point to providing the process in the first place. No one who has ever lost any case was persuaded that they were in the wrong during the course of the legal process.

You may have some rights to appeal. Typically, administrative hearings are allowed only a limited review in court on the issues of the adequacy of the process and the existence of some degree of evidence to support the result. For a detailed and insightful analysis on this critical issue, you need to consult with a local attorney.

I don't doubt that you have had a terrible and unfair experience. It may be that you will need to find another field of work. But if you have pursued the administrative process to the end, your best course is to appeal -- not to sue because the admin case didn't result in vindicating you.

2. Leonard Roy Boyer

Pro

Answered . As my colleague pointed out, you did have a due process heating. So unless you can find an attorney who knows some way around that, I don't see how you will be able to have a legal remedy for what happened.