I have been granted asylum one month ago.How long does it take to issue a travel document?

New York, NY |

What is the procedure for requesting a travel document as an asylee? Are there restrictions as to where I can travel and the duration of my stay abroad?

1. You apply for a Refugee Travel Document on form I-131. See the form for further instructions.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.

2. It might take over 3 months to get a refugee travel document, and it is valid for one year.

3. The permit takes 3-4 months, after filing the I-131.

Don't travel too close to your former homeland.

Try not to stay away for more than 90 days.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- franco@capriotti.com -- www.capriotti.com -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.