I have been given two cats, one from a friend and one from an ex-roommate but I am not on their papers who owns them?

Peoria, IL |

My cat Niggy was given to my by my ex roommate Lisa, her cat had a litter and he was part of it. We paid to have him fixed but I was in the hospital in pre-term labor and my fiancee was at work so her name is on his paper. Our cat Maggie was adopted by another ex roommate of ours, Adam, from a shelter. He moved out one day without warning and left her at our apartment. We have not seen or heard from him since. I have her medical records and her adoption papers, which are in Adams name. I'm just curious who owns them because I pay for everything for them, food, shots, litter, water, everything.

1. You own them, or more accurately, they own you. Don't worry so much about papers as taking care of them. You can contact the shelter and vet and ask if anything is needed to transfer ownership records but it is not likely this is a big deal since these are simple companions and not championship/registered felines.

2. I agree that you own them but I suggest you have them micro-chipped and registered (if your town requires it) in your name. You should also make sure that any "new" vet records are in your name.

If we do not have a signed fee agreement I am not your attorney and this is not legal advice.