I have been fired for not diclosing a misdermeaner that happen three years ago, do I have any rights to appeal?

Stephens City, VA |

I was under and loss prevention investagation and a back ground check was preformed and LP found a conviction that happen three years ago, I informed my supervisor but he didn't know to report to the company, I have been with the company going on eight years and never had any problems, always good reviews. I feel very hurt and ashamed of this and would like to know if I have any rights?

Unfortunately, you probably can't do anything about it. Virginia, like most of the United States, is an at-will state, which means you can be fired for cause or no cause. There are exceptions; the employer cannot fire you on grounds of PROHIBITED discrimination such as sex, race, age, national origin, creed and/or disability nor can the employer terminate you for having engaged in protected activity under a variety of usually Federal statutes, such as the National Labor Relations Act. Also, if you have a valid personal contract, the employer must abide by its terms on grounds for discharge. However, none of these situations appear to apply to you.

This is meant as general legal information and is not to be construed as legal advice in an attorney client relationship.

Any "appeal" right you have in an employment setting will be based on your company handbook. The handbook is generally your contract with the employer. Virginia is indeed an at will state - you may be fired with or without cause. However, if there is an appeal process set forth in your company handbook, that will generally dictate your rights to appeal a decision of your employer.

CASE RESULTS DEPEND UPON A VARIETY OF FACTORS UNIQUE TO EACH CASE. PAST RESULTS CANNOT GUARANTEE SIMILAR FUTURE RESULTS. GIVE US A CALL AND LET US DISCUSS YOUR CASE. 703-926-3900.