I have been falsely accused of a crime. Can i take a trip out of state?

Asked about 1 year ago - Charleston, SC

Early in the morning on Friday, June 7, I was falsely accused of rape. These passed three days have been the worst days of my entire life. I have been questioned by the police, but not arrested. I called the detective to inform the authorities of my trip to Tennessee which I have had planned for several months, but he did not answer and I had to leave a voicemail. I plan to attend my college orientation tomorrow morning in Columbia and to attend the Bonnaroo Music and Arts Festival in Tennessee on Thursday, June 13th. Is it illegal for me to go? As I am innocent, I would prefer not to completely put my life on hold because of this horrible accusation. Please, i need some advice on what to do.

1. John A. Jackson

5

Answered . STOP talking to the police and hire an attorney. That is what you need to do.

2. Justin Michael Lovely

2

Answered . You need to hire an attorney to get ahead of these charges. Why wait until you have a rape charge? If you have been questioned, consult with an attorney. Stop talking to the police.

3. Dale Martin Savage

1

Answered . As you have not been arrested or placed on bone at this point you do not need police authority to travel anywhere from these facts, typically there is a condition of bond requiring you to stay in state after an arrest and bond has been set. I would seriously consider speaking to a lawyer about your situation and stop further discussions with police to protect your rights and have them explain what your rights and options are based on the facts, obviously this is a serious situation.

4. Harry Edward Hudson Jr

2

Answered . Until there is an arrest and court order affecting your travel options, you may go wherever you please. YOU DO NOT NEED POLICE AUTHORIZATION.
    Hire counsel. Talk to cops no more. and enjoy your trip.

5. James Regan

Pro

Answered . There is no confidentiality online. Do not talk to the police without an attorney Volunteering to answer this question does not create an attorney-client relationship. The accused is presumed innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. The likelihood of a positive outcome- exoneration or a mitigated sentence- is increased with the help of an experienced criminal litigator. Seek out an experienced criminal litigator for a free consultation. If you cannot find one on Avvo, search at the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (NACDL.org) Speak to several attorneys and hire the one that makes you feel confident and comfortable. NACDL local members: http://tinyurl.com/8ru8wtv

Go to Trial: Crash the Justice System
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/11/opinion/sunda...

Good Luck,

JR

James Regan, LL.M*, Esq.
    *Master of Intercultural Human Rights Law
    jreganllm@gmail.com

https://twitter.com/JReganLLM
    https://www.facebook.com/defendme.net (Visit us on Facebook)

Educational purposes answer. | FACDL.org | NACDL.org | Defendme.net | twitter.com/JReganLLM | Non-privileged answer.