Skip to main content

I have been falsely accused of a crime. Can i take a trip out of state?

Charleston, SC |

Early in the morning on Friday, June 7, I was falsely accused of rape. These passed three days have been the worst days of my entire life. I have been questioned by the police, but not arrested. I called the detective to inform the authorities of my trip to Tennessee which I have had planned for several months, but he did not answer and I had to leave a voicemail. I plan to attend my college orientation tomorrow morning in Columbia and to attend the Bonnaroo Music and Arts Festival in Tennessee on Thursday, June 13th. Is it illegal for me to go? As I am innocent, I would prefer not to completely put my life on hold because of this horrible accusation. Please, i need some advice on what to do.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


STOP talking to the police and hire an attorney. That is what you need to do.

This response is for informational purposes only and is not intended to convey detailed legal advice on any specific issue. Transmission of the information contained in this response is not intended to create, and receipt does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. The Law Office of John A. Jackson only practices law where properly authorized to do so and does not seek to represent anyone in any other jurisdiction. This site does not make use of any secure encryption technology, and any transmissions to the Law Office of John A. Jackson may be intercepted by third-parties. DO NOT send us any information that you regard as privileged or confidential. John A. Jackson is licensed to practice law in the State of South Carolina. You should not act upon the information contained herein without first seeking the advice of an attorney licensed to practice in your area.


Until there is an arrest and court order affecting your travel options, you may go wherever you please. YOU DO NOT NEED POLICE AUTHORIZATION.
Hire counsel. Talk to cops no more. and enjoy your trip.

The above is not intended as legal advice. The response does not constitute the creation of an attorney client relationship as this forum does not provide for a confidential communication.


You need to hire an attorney to get ahead of these charges. Why wait until you have a rape charge? If you have been questioned, consult with an attorney. Stop talking to the police.

The information in this website is provided as a general legal reference . The reader is advised to check for changes to current law and to consult with a qualified attorney on any legal issue. The use of this material does not create an attorney-client relationship with the Lovely Law Firm or any of its attorneys. When transmitting information over this website, you understand and agree that Lovely Law Firm will have no duty to keep confidential the information. Because the information posted on this website is prepared for a general audience, without investigation into the facts of each particular case, it is not legal advice: neither Lovely Law Firm or any of its attorneys has an attorney-client relationship with you. The thoughts and commentary about the law contained on this site is provided as a service to the community, and does not constitute solicitation or provision of legal advice. While we endeavor to provide accurate information at this website, we cannot guarantee that the information provided here (or linked to from this site) is accurate, complete, or adequate. We provide this general legal information on an ‘as-is’ basis. We make no warranties and disclaim liability for damages resulting from its use. Legal advice must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case, and laws are constantly changing, so nothing provided at this site, should be used as a substitute for the advice of competent counsel. Finally, using this website or sending email to the host does not create an attorney-client relationship. The material in this website may be considered advertising under applicable rules. If you need to speak to an attorney about your specific legal issue please call the Lovely Law Firm at 843-839-4111


As you have not been arrested or placed on bone at this point you do not need police authority to travel anywhere from these facts, typically there is a condition of bond requiring you to stay in state after an arrest and bond has been set. I would seriously consider speaking to a lawyer about your situation and stop further discussions with police to protect your rights and have them explain what your rights and options are based on the facts, obviously this is a serious situation.


There is no confidentiality online. Do not talk to the police without an attorney Volunteering to answer this question does not create an attorney-client relationship. The accused is presumed innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. The likelihood of a positive outcome- exoneration or a mitigated sentence- is increased with the help of an experienced criminal litigator. Seek out an experienced criminal litigator for a free consultation. If you cannot find one on Avvo, search at the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers ( Speak to several attorneys and hire the one that makes you feel confident and comfortable. NACDL local members:

Go to Trial: Crash the Justice System

Good Luck,


James Regan, LL.M*, Esq.
*Master of Intercultural Human Rights Law (Visit us on Facebook)

Educational purposes answer. | | | | | Non-privileged answer.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer