I have been divorced 13 yrs, now live in Missouri what do I need to do to change my last name back to my Maiden name?

Asked about 2 years ago - Sikeston, MO

When I got divorced I didn't realize that they didn't state it in my divorce papers for me to take my maiden name back. When I went to the SS office I found out that it had to be stated in my papers otherwise I would have to get a lawyer to file the papers can someone please help me out with this...

1. Saundra Janelle McDowell

3

1

Answered . There are two things you can do. First, you could petition the court to modify the final divorce decree to add your name change to it. The other way is to simply file a petition for a name change at the courthouse and pay the filing fee. The exact wording of the petition varies but in Missouri, you must state that you are not changing your name in an attempt to hide from your legal responsibilities.
    you can try to go to the Courthouse yourself and tell them what you would like to do and hopefully get someone that is helpful or you can contact an attorney to write the petition for you.

Hope this information helps!
    Saundra J. McDowell

2. Leonard Komen

Pro

Answered . The court costs to file a change of name Petition are not large. You will also have to arrange for publication of the action in the local newspaper. Stop by the courthouse in your county and ask to see the Clerk of the ASSOCIATE Circuit Court. Ask if the clerk can remember any recently filed change of name cases and then ask for that file to get the forms to use. (Clerk's are prohibited from giving legal advice but they can show you similar files) The problem is that Missouri cases are indexed by the names of the parties or case numbers and not by the type of case.

If the Associate Circuit Court Clerk can't help but there are separate clerks for each Associate Circuit judge in your county, pay a visit to those separate clerks.