I have been dealing with a malicious employer since 2009. Stunting personal and professional growth.

Bronx, NY |

Several things:
1. For a little over 2 years now, I have been asking my manager for a raise. Within that time frame, I had also been borrowing from my manager. I would end up borrowing so much that the following During this time she also hired at least 4 other people, who now work at the same store.
2. Incident with my wearing a scarf. Told I couldn't wear it, though I didn't have the money to get anything done with my African American hair and need travel money for school and work. Contacted Union after being told I would eventually be taken off of schedule. Issue disappeared when Union rep spoke to her.
Other issues, and also currently homeless as a result of her repeated malicious actions that have disadvantaged me professionally.

1. At the risk of sounding uncaring, these are not employment issues subject to legal regulation. As a general rule the employment relationship is a voluntary one and an employee's right upon denial of a raise or required to dress a certain way is to work elsewhere. Where a union is involved, some rights may be a matter of the union contract and enforceable through the union.

Best wishes for an outcome you can accept, and please remember to designate a best answer.

This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.

2. I don't see any legal claims. You are free to look for another job.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

3. I would suggest finding a better job. If comments were made about your hair that relate to your race or national origin, then you may have a viable claim.

This answer does not constitute legal advice and you should contact an attorney to confirm or research further any statements made in this answer. Any statements of fact or law I have made in this answer pertain solely to New York State and should not be relied upon in any way in any other jurisdiction. Additionally, we also encourage you to reach out to us via Twitter (https://twitter.com/#!/WhiteRoseMarks) or Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/WhiteRoseMarks) if you have follow up questions as we do not monitor questions after providing an initial answer.