I have been convicted of Having Obscene Matter of minors under the age of 14. Pictures of nude, in California. 311 (a),pc.

Asked over 2 years ago - Palo Alto, CA

This case is about Pornography of minors, I have been chatting online on Yahoo, and come across a person that sent me a file and I have downloaded it and it was pictures that was sent to my Photo page on Yahoo briefcase. I was told that I have uploaded those pictures of minors under 14 years of age. I was charged to a plea deal of Max 3 years in California Prison, and the Federal Government gave me 84 months consecutive to the state. So I have a max time of 9 1/2 years.
I don't know what to do at this time: I want to be able to get off from being a Registered Sex Offender and get my Felonies taken away, or reduced.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Thomas John Greenberg

    Contributor Level 10

    Answered . In order to answer your questions, you would need to provide more information. When did this take place? How many photos were there? Have you accepted the offers or are you still considering the offers? Are you currently represented? Do you have prior convictions?

    Santa Clara county has been running child porn stings lately. Our office has seen a number of cases arising out of Palo Alto, Redwood City and Mountain view.

    I would suggest that you consult with attorneys familiar with sex registration and felony criminal matters. This may require two different attorneys since you are dealing with state and federal cases.

  2. Barry Franklin Poulson

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Your situation involves 2 "sovereigns" (that is 2 goverments), which is why the state and feds were both able to charge you. You need an attorney who can deal with both. AND, if there is some appeal pending, time is very limited. You should consult an attorney at once, to see if there are any time limits running out. The situation is far too complex for online advice. You can use AVVO, however, to find a criminal defense attorney in Palo Alto. That attorney may, in turn, refer you to an appeals attorney or specialist.

    It is not uncommon for PC's to be taken over by others and used for porn. Very unpleasant consequences, as you have learned. Really, do not waste a day explaining to an attorney in CA where things stand, including all dates.

    We do not have a client/attorney relationship until you make an appointment, we discuss your case face to face, I... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,511 answers this week

3,578 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,511 answers this week

3,578 attorneys answering