Skip to main content

I have been charged with passing bad checks. It did not know a check bounced and I moved and did not get notices.

Belmont, NY |

I plead not guilty at arrangement. Should represent myself ? should i now plead guilty? What will happen if i change my plead?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


Get a lawyer, period.

Yefim Rubinov

Yefim Rubinov


Contact me and I could refer you to one.


Don't just plead guilty - that will give you a criminal record for life. You need to hire a good criminal defense lawyer to see what your defenses are, what your options are and what can be worked out with the prosecutor.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.


You should not represent yourself. You should get experienced local criminal defense counsel who can answer your questions about changing your plea based on your specific situation. Although you might not be looking at a lot (or even any) jail time, there is still a lot at stake. You may be put on probation (which can be a pain) and you will then have this on your record. Remember that even if you might be civilly liable for the check, that does not mean that you violated the criminal law. This is why you need good, experienced counsel.

Skaar & Feagle, LLP maintains offices in Marietta (770 427 5600) and Decatur (404 373 1970), Georgia. The information ("the answer") provided above is for general information and educational purposes only. The answer should not be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. Posting the question and reviewing the answer does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. My firm will ask you to sign a written contract prior to the commencement of representation in any attorney-client relationship. Please contact 770 427 5600 or 404 373 1970, if you wish to discuss your situation further. Skaar & Feagle, LLP accepts select consumer rights cases. These cases include, but are not limited to, cases of abusive and unlawful collection activity, debt defense, credit reporting of false or obsolete (old) information, high interest lenders (title pawns, payday loans), debt management plans, and fraud or unfair practices in the sale and financing of automobiles.


Retain an experienced criminal defense lawyer to assist you. Do not represent yourself in an criminal proceeding.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or


Don't represent yourself. Hire a lawyer.


You should not represent yourself. Hire an attorney to represent you.
It's a misdemeanor and you would have a criminal record if you plead guilty..

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
Garden City, NY 11530
516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer