Skip to main content

I have been charged with grand larceny and I'm wondering If there would be a chance that my charged would be amended.

Virginia Beach, VA |

I have no priors and this is my first charge ever. I've never even had a speeding ticket.

Attorney Answers 6

  1. You need to hire a criminal defense attorney ASAP to represent you. I assume this is a felony in VA. If so, and it is your first offense, there may be some time of diversion program option available to you. Get an experienced criminal defense attorney to advise you.

    I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..

  2. Until I have information otherwise, I generally assume there is a possibility for a more favorable result. There is a difference in possibility and probability. A lack of a record and, if possible, restitution can be favorable factors. However, unless you just intend to walk into court and accept whatever the court and prosecutor want, you need counsel.

    The above is not intended as legal advice. The response does not constitute the creation of an attorney client relationship as this forum does not provide for a confidential communication.

  3. There is a chance but it depends on a lot of factors. You need a local attorney and I am happy to help.

    The information contained in this message is for general informational purposes only. It is not intended to be legal advice, nor is it a substitute for professional legal services. Wolcott Rivers Gates disclaims the formation of an attorney-client relationship by use of AVVO, and no such relationship exists unless and until a written Fee Agreement has been endorsed by Wolcott Rivers Gates and the client. Furthermore, given the public nature of this forum, there can be no expectation of privacy, confidentiality, privilege, or any other protection from disclosure.

  4. Perhaps instead of being concerned if the charge can be amended you should consult with a local criminal attorney to investigate the facts of your case to determine if a valid defense to the charge might exist - only then would you even need to move to the next stage of the proceedings.

    This is not intended to be legal advise or as legal representation. I am a California personal injury attorney . Be aware that every state has its own statute of limitations; and statutes & case laws that govern the handling of these matters.

  5. There is a possibilty that the prosecutor would be willing to offer a plea to a lesser charge. This would depend on a number of factors such as the facts of the case and the value of the items that were taken. I recommend that you contact an experienced criminal defense attorney to discuss the merits of your case. I would be happy to set up a consultation.

  6. Yes, there may be a chance but the likelihood of it being reduced depends on the facts of your case. Regardless of whether this charge may be reduced, you need to consult with a local attorney and have representation in this matter. You can contact me to set up a free consultation.

    The information contained in this message is for general informational purposes only. It is not intended to be legal advice or to substitute for professional legal services. No attorney/client relationship is created by the use of AVVO.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics