I have been charged with first degree larceny , unemployment fraud and third degree forgery. This is my first offense ever.

Asked 3 months ago - Stamford, CT

Would I be able to qualify for accelerated rehabilitation since it is my first offence and it is non violent?

I also wanted to add that unemployment has already and will continue to intersect my tax returns and I am willing to make low monthly payments. I was told that since I have the forgery charge that I would not qualify for the AR. I just wanted to know if I was given the correct legal advice. I would also like to thank all that have responded with the helpful information.

1. Charles Christian Young

3

1

Answered . You ask if you will qualify for AR. A judge must technically decide two questions in considering granting an AR application that is not otherwise precluded by law: 1) Is the crime of a serious nature, and, 2) is the defendant likely to offend in the future.
    st degree larceny is $20k or more. Most courts view this as a serious offense ... some judges have a predisposition against granting AR that must be overcome. A great way to overcome this predisposition is money. Paying restitution up front ... either a good chunk or all of what is allegedly wrongfully taken.
    Restitution will be a big part of the disposition of your case - be it AR, probation, or jail followed by probation. If you cannot bring money to the table so to speak, the chances of getting AR diminish greatly. If you cannot show how all the $ will be repaid over the maximum AR term of two years, you have no real chance and will be paying over the course of probation instead.

2. Andrew John Cates

1

1

Answered . I agree with Attorney Young. The short answer is "Yes." The AR statute was modified to specifically include Larceny First as a qualifying offense. You do qualify as long as you have never used AR in Connecticut or a similar program in any other state and as long as you have never been convicted of a crime in Connecticut or any other state.

You are going to need an attorney to assist you on this.

3. William W Housley

Pro

Answered . Those are three serious felony charges. Consult with local criminal defense attorney immediately so that he or she can represent your best interest. Most offer initial consults free. Good luck.

Answer is for informational purposes only and does not create an attorney-client relationship.