I have been charged with aggregated sexual assault of a minor in TX. I have a court appointed attorney but I'm still afraid.

Asked about 1 year ago - Wylie, TX

The alleged victim is my 9 year old daughter, i have three. I have never been arrested i am a certified tx peace officer, former military police and juvenile detention officer. I am completely innocent, but feel since i am forced to discredit my daughter whos a 9year old, that i dont have a winning chance

1. Evan Edward Pierce-Jones

1

Answered . I appreciate your concern.

I have represented a fair number of folks on child sex abuse cases over the years. It is uniformly frightening to the defendants.

Child sex abuse cases are without a doubt challenging. Each presents its own unique set of circumstances, but commonly one of the threads for defense counsel to explore is why the child would make a false outcry (assuming the defendant is factually innocent).

As with most every endeavor, experience tends to make for a better defense....but there are exceptions.

A well mentored journey-person level court appointed lawyer who is dedicated to doing a thorough job may just be a good lawyer for this type of charge. But, in that situation, the defendant gets the lawyer the court appoints. And, sadly, some appointed counsel do only what is necessary to meet the required basics, while others work like a dog to get their client acquitted.

Another consideration if you intend to fight the case is actual courtroom talent. Some lawyers have a natural persuasive talent, and some develop that over the years. But, an ability to relate to a jury is important. So is the attorney client relationship...if the client is not comfortable with the defense lawyer, the chances of success fall.

Bottom line, if you can gather together the financial resources to hire a lawyer who is experienced in this sort of case, then you have a lawyer you chose and one you are at ease with.

This sort of case is similar to a heart attack or cancer in the medical field. This is a situation where a person might consider selling their car or taking out a second mortgage to hire the lawyer they want.

2. Stephen Andrew Hamer

Answered . What's your question? You need an attorney.

3. Kent Wade Starr

Pro

Answered . I am a Collin County criminal attorney and I am trying a case very similar to your this coming Monday in Collin County. The cases carry serious consequences and I would make sure that your court appointed attorney has actually tried a case similar to yours before. Many attorney merely attempt to get their clients to plead guilty so they can move the cases and receive their court appointment fees. Contact me, Kent W. Starr of Starr & Associates, P.C. if you have any further questions.