I have been charged with a grand larceny felony. How can it be taken off my record?

Asked about 1 year ago - Lorton, VA

I was completely out of my mind when i decided to steal from store, at this point i feel ashamed of myself and i am very sorry for what i have done.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Peter Anthony Jabaly


    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You should not be presumably admitting guilt in a public forum even if anonymized. You should, instead, retain an attorney to defend against the allegations. If, however, you've already been found guilty and just wish to expunge your record, Virginia does not allow it.

    The answer provided is for general information purposes and cannot be relied upon. In order to provide legal... more
  2. James Donald Garrett

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Virginia law does not allow for the expungement of any conviction. A conviction of any offense is a permanent criminal record. You need to retain a good criminal defense lawyer to help you. Depending on the facts of your case, your attorney may be able to work out something where you do not end up with a conviction, or at least have the charge reduced to a misdemeanor.

    Good luck.

    Attorneys on AVVO donate their time and your feedback is appreciated. Be sure to mark the "Best Answer" or Helpful" to your questions.

    James Garrett
    Garrett Law Group, PLC
    (757) 422-4646 - 24 hour Service

    Responding to questions on AVVO does not establish an attorney-client relationship between the questioner and any... more
  3. Andrew Todd Elders

    Contributor Level 9

    Answered . There are two issues here. The first is, what will the outcome of my criminal case be? The second is, can I get that outcome removed from arrest records and criminal record databases such as the NCIC. You should call a lawyer (or provide more details) to get a full idea of how your case might be resolved. But the second question can be answered. If you are found not guilty, if the charge is dropped or Nolle Prossed, or if the charge is otherwise dismissed without any findings or admissions being made, then you can get an expungement, which will eliminate the charge from your record. However, if you are convicted of any offense (felony or misdemeanor), or if you make an admission of guilt or wrongdoing, or if the court attaches court-enforced conditions upon your dismissal, then you cannot get an expungement under Virginia Law.

    See the link below for more information about expungements.

    The information provided in these responses is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,971 answers this week

3,104 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,971 answers this week

3,104 attorneys answering