Skip to main content

I have been charged with a felony but am getting denied applying for a court appointed attorney. What can I do?

El Paso, TX |

I'm getting charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. The bond was set low so my parents paid about 200. The judge says that because I was bonded out, I can afford a lawyer. I used my last paycheck to pay my parents back, i've lost my job, and I have no savings or income. I'm 19, 6 months pregnant and on High Risk bedrest and cant work. She has me on a PR BOND and must show up everyday with a list of 5 lawyers that I've talked to & their costs and why I can't afford them. I have no way of getting any money, and my parents can't help either. What do I do now? This is the 2nd time i've asked for one and have been denied. Do i just keep going every day and telling her the same thing?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Two options: get a job and then hire an attorney OR turn yourself in, have the bondsman comeoff the bond and ask for the public defender.

    If you don't comply, you will be jailed for contempt. | The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Florida. Responses are based solely on Florida law unless stated otherwise.

  2. This is nonsense. I would get a note from your Dr. saying that you are on bed rest and that its dangerous for you to be on your feet coming to court or meeting with lawyers every day. Go to court with that note, make sure the Judge puts the medical note in your file. At that point the Judge will most likely stop playing these games with you, as you will be too much of a liability for the court. I can't believe this is happenning. This kind of crap would never happen in CA, its infuriating that you have to go through this. If you really can't afford a private lawyer, just keep doing what you are doing, the Judge will have no choice but to assign a PD to you.

  3. I agree with he previous answer suggesting that you get a note from your doctor then I would call these attorneys and get a quote for their retainer then write the judge a note advising the judge that you made an effort to contact the attorneys and give judge the retainer fee requirements of each attorney and the note from your doctor that you are in a high rsk pregnancy and that placing you in jail would stress you and the fetus and make your high risk pregnancy even riskier. If he judge blows you off, I would consider going to the local news era and filing a grievance against his judge ith the State Commission on Judicial Conduct. I have been an attorney for 30 years and a state magistrate/municipal judge for 25 years and I am aso a judicial instructor and this in my opinion is not good judicial conduct.

    If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. I hope my information is helpful to you. If you think this post was a good answer, please click the "Good Answer" button below and/or designate my answer as the "BEST ANSWER". Thanks. This is a general response to a question for basic information and is not legal advice. Legal advice can only be given when all of the facts of your situation are discussed with a lawyer, which we have not done.. If you reside outside the State of Texas please understand that the laws may be different from the laws that I may cite in a my comment. This comment is not to be construed as legal advice to your particular situation because there are many factors that influence legal counseling- this is simply a comment. Response to an email does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and the Law Offices of Kevin R. Madison, P.C., nor any of its attorneys. If you send us an e-mail, or call us, and we do not already represent you, neither your e-mail inquiry nor telephone call will create an attorney-client relationship. E-mails cannot necessarily be treated as privileged or confidential. Only entering into a written legal services contract with the Law Offices of Kevin R. Madison, P.C. will create an attorney-client relationship. There is no substitute for one-on-one legal advice and you are urged to meet with an attorney and discuss your case, personally, with an attorney in the state in which you reside or your case occurred. Thank you. Kevin R. Madison. Visit our website at and Kevin Madison, Austin, Texas- representing injured persons in motor vehicle collision, truck and motorcucle accidents and representing victims of sexual harassment, sexual assault, sexual abuse, physical assaults, and representing victims of sexual exploitation committed by doctors, therapists, psychologists, psychiatrists, clergy, counselors, priests, and rabbis. Visit our sexual harassment/sexual exploitation blog at

Employment topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics