I have been caught shoplifting at Sephora.I am back to Europe now.Will this show on my record?

Asked over 1 year ago - Santa Monica, CA

I have been caught shoplifting at Sephora.No police was involved only the guard took a copy of my ID and a picture of me. i signed a paper that i will never come back to store and will pay a civil demand letter.this happened in august, i did not get anything.can they bring charges now?

1. Joseph Briscoe Dane

Pro

1

Answered . If the police were not involved initially when you were detained by the store personnel, the odds are overwhelming that nothing will happen now. Could it? In theory, yes. The prosecution has up to year to file misdemeanor charges such as petty theft. It's not up to the store to "press charges" - that decision is exclusively in the hands of the prosecutor's office.

A police report could have been taken and submitted to the DA for review and the filing of charges, but typically, it doesn't happen if the store doesn't call the police on that first day.

2. Alan Graham Keating

1

Answered . It seems that the store was willing to accept repayment as an alternative to prosecution. It is possible that they could report the matter to the police if their demand for payment goes unanswered; however, as noted here, the charges would need to be filed within one year. In the event that the case is filed and you are in Europe the court will issue a warrant for your arrest - this would complicate matters if you ever decide to return to this country. You will be able to do an online criminal case check using the Los Angeles Superior Court's website - in the event that a case is filed you may still be able to resolve everything by having a local attorney handle everything for you.

3. Jasen Bodie Nielsen

Pro

Answered . Yes. On a misdemeanor petty theft charge, the government has a year from the date of the offense to file charges against you. If you were using a local address at the time, or if the store or law enforcement did not have a correct address for you, it is possible that charges have been filed and that you are unaware. If charges have been filed and you missed the court date, you will have a warrant out for your arrest.

With all that being said, it's also possible that nothing came of this and sephora never called law enforcement. Good luck.

Jasen Nielsen