I have been billed for my boyfriends bill by consumers energy

Asked about 1 year ago - Battle Creek, MI

the bill was in his name at a different address i was never apart of those and now they are billing me we are not married and never have been how is this even legal?

1. Dani K. Liblang

1

1

Answered . It is not legal but, unfortunately, you will likely need to contact an attorney to get this straightened out. My office has had several cases where utilities were billing persons not legally responsible for the bill. Until we got involved, our clients were unable to get any cooperation whatsoever from the utility company. An excellent attorney in your area is Christopher Vreeland of Marshall, Michigan. I suggest that you give him a call and see if he can help.

2. David B. Carter Jr.

Pro

Answered . It is not legal.

3. Jeffrey Alan Franklin

1

Answered . I suggest you contact the utility company first.
    If you are not able to resolve it with the utility company, then I suggest contacting the Michigan Public Service Commission (MPSC). http://www.michigan.gov/mpsc/0,1607,7-159-16368... describes how a customer files a utility complaint with the Michigan Public Service Commission.
    The MPSC’s Service Quality staff can be reached Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at 800-292-9555. MPSC staff can explain the rules and standards governing many aspects of utility service and can help consumers understand how the regulations apply to their particular situation. Staff can also initiate complaint investigations to ensure that established rules and standards are being followed.
    Complaints and inquiries can also be submitted by sending a letter detailing the dispute to P.O. Box 30221 Lansing, MI 48909, fax number 517-241-6272, or by completing an on-line form at michigan.gov/mpsccomplaints.
    If these options are not fruitful for you, then the assistance of a lawyer may be necessary.
    I don't practice in Michigan, but the local bar association may refer you to a local lawyer.

Best.

Not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.