I have been arrested for shoplifting - How can I maximize my chances to be able to come back to the US (I am a French citizen)?

Asked over 1 year ago - Brooklyn, NY

I have been arrested yesterday for shoplifting (value 132 dollars). I am a French citizen under F-1 visa status (student). I hope to come back next year for 3 months under ESTA (visitor). I am summoned to court on June 17th. What can I do to minimize the chances of deportation or inadmissibility and maximize my chances to be able to stay here and even come back as a visitor?

1. Edwin Drantivy

Pro

2

Answered . Speak with an immigration attorney and a criminal defense attorney in order to develop a strategy.

2. Eric Edward Rothstein

2

Answered . I handle cases like this all the time and finished 2 today with early dismissals.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2013 and 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell ”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me.

Eric Rothstein
    11 Park Place, Suite 1100
    New York, New York 10007
    Phone: 212-577-9797
    Email: Eric@RothsteinLawNY.com
    Web site: www.RothsteinLawNY.com
    Free consultations by phone or in person

3. Howard A. Schwartz

1

Answered . It should not be a problem. If this is a first arrest, you should receive an ACD which will lead to a dismissal and sealing of the charges. If you do not have the funds to hire an attorney, one will be appointed by the court. You should not stress over the situation. Good luck.

4. Michael R Crosner

2

Answered . What you can do is immediately consult a local NY criminal attorney. You can locate them on AVVO under the tab "Find a Lawyer" - many offer free consultations & even payment plans. Do not wait until the last minute!!!