I have been arrested for embezzlement from my previous employer estimate amount $19,000 I did admit to it waiting for court date

Asked almost 2 years ago - Salinas, CA

Ive have no criminal record what so ever not even a speeding ticket. I cannot afford a lawyer and im just hoping to avoid jail time.

1. Douglas Holbrook

11

1

Best Answer

Answered . At your first court appearance, counsel will be appointed for you. The avoidance of jail time is always dicey, but is certainly a possibility. However, be prepared to deal with the issue of restitution.

2. Harry Edward Hudson Jr

11

1

Answered . Ask for counsel when you appear in court. Say nothing else to authot=rities.
    A lack of a record would bode well, however, I would not be surprised that the
    sum involved would not result in a period of incarceration

3. Angela M Berry-Jacoby

7

1

Answered . I see that you are in Salinas. In LA county, the DA's policy is that any theft exceeding $10,000, they want state prison time despite the suspect having no record. However, judges will work around the DA and offer straight probation provided the suspect makes the victim whole - in other words, pays all the money back. The fact that you have no record and that there was an early acceptance of responsibility, however, will bode well for you. Good luck.

4. Frank Mascagni III

9

Answered . This is a serious felony in any state based on the money amount. You need an experienced criminal defense attorney ASAP. Make no more statements to anyone but your lawyer. If you really can't afford counsel, ask the court to appoint you a public defender at the first court date. Whether the case can be resolved without prison time is unknown at this point. Your ability to make restitution is a serious factor that needs to be addressed. Get counsel.