I have been accused of striking a child. What steps must I take for a counter-lawsuit for a slanderous accusation?

Asked 9 months ago - Aylett, VA

I have recently moved to Va. and I'm not entirely familiar with the laws. My cousin, with who I reside, has an ex-wife that has made numerous accusations that have all been dismissed in court. Her most recent attempt to cause trouble was filing a police report that stated I had abused her child.(Which is my cousin's daughter) I have several people ready to come to my trial for my defense at this slanderously false accusation. My question is what steps could I take to prevent her from further slander, and could I possibly have a counter lawsuit?

1. Answered . Speak with an attorney who practices in the area of libel/slander--check avvo for a listing of attorneys--good luck.

*This information should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship.
  2. Answered . Your first priority is to defend the charges filed. You should also consider taking action to prevent her from filing additional false charges. With respect to the possibility of a civil suit to recover for damages, you need to consult an attorney in your state.