I have been accused of striking a child. What steps must I take for a counter-lawsuit for a slanderous accusation?

Asked about 1 month ago - Aylett, VA

I have recently moved to Va. and I'm not entirely familiar with the laws. My cousin, with who I reside, has an ex-wife that has made numerous accusations that have all been dismissed in court. Her most recent attempt to cause trouble was filing a police report that stated I had abused her child.(Which is my cousin's daughter) I have several people ready to come to my trial for my defense at this slanderously false accusation. My question is what steps could I take to prevent her from further slander, and could I possibly have a counter lawsuit?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Charles P. Ward


    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . Speak with an attorney who practices in the area of libel/slander--check avvo for a listing of attorneys--good luck.

    *This information should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship.
  2. Steven Howard Fine

    Contributor Level 4

    Answered . Your first priority is to defend the charges filed. You should also consider taking action to prevent her from filing additional false charges. With respect to the possibility of a civil suit to recover for damages, you need to consult an attorney in your state.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Instant span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now