I have been accused of striking a child. What steps must I take for a counter-lawsuit for a slanderous accusation?

Aylett, VA |

I have recently moved to Va. and I'm not entirely familiar with the laws. My cousin, with who I reside, has an ex-wife that has made numerous accusations that have all been dismissed in court. Her most recent attempt to cause trouble was filing a police report that stated I had abused her child.(Which is my cousin's daughter) I have several people ready to come to my trial for my defense at this slanderously false accusation. My question is what steps could I take to prevent her from further slander, and could I possibly have a counter lawsuit?

1. Speak with an attorney who practices in the area of libel/slander--check avvo for a listing of attorneys--good luck.

*This information should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship.

2. Your first priority is to defend the charges filed. You should also consider taking action to prevent her from filing additional false charges. With respect to the possibility of a civil suit to recover for damages, you need to consult an attorney in your state.