I have been abused. But he is not a bad person, what can I do to prevent him in getting criminal charges?

Asked 11 months ago - Edmonton, KY

The police has lay charges on him and schedule for court hearing. I don't want him to get into jail.

1. Frank Mascagni III

2

Best Answer

Answered . I think you are saying you are the victim of a crime, but do not want the wrongdoer to go to jail. Is that correct? Go to court and speak with the defense attorney and the prosecutor and share your wishes. The Commonwealth of KY is prosecuting the case, but your views will be considered by the prosecutor.

2. Daniel Nelson Deasy

3

Answered . Unfortunaelky for you, you do not get to control the situation once the polcie are involved. You can always talk to his criminal defense attorney about your feelings, as well as the prosecutors assiged to the case.

3. James Regan

Pro

1

Answered . It is not your job to protect your abuser. The state decides what happens with the charges.

You can get help through the victim advocate at the prosecutor's office of by calling the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1−800−799−SAFE (7233) / www.thehotline.com

Here is a basic breakdown of the domestic violence cycle:

Tension building phase—Tension builds over common domestic issues like money, children or jobs. Verbal abuse begins. The victim tries to control the situation by pleasing the abuser, giving in or avoiding the abuse. None of these will stop the violence. Eventually, the tension reaches a boiling point and physical abuse begins.

Acute battering episode—When the tension peaks, the physical violence begins. It is usually triggered by the presence of an external event or by the abuser’s emotional state—but not by the victim’s behavior. This means the start of the battering episode is unpredictable and beyond the victim’s control. However, some experts believe that in some cases victims may unconsciously provoke the abuse so they can release the tension, and move on to the honeymoon phase.

The honeymoon phase—First, the abuser is ashamed of his behavior. He expresses remorse, tries to minimize the abuse and might even blame it on the partner. He may then exhibit loving, kind behavior followed by apologies, generosity and helpfulness. He will genuinely attempt to convince the partner that the abuse will not happen again. This loving and contrite behavior strengthens the bond between the partners and will probably convince the victim, once again, that leaving the relationship is not necessary.

This cycle continues over and over, and may help explain why victims stay in abusive relationships. The abuse may be terrible, but the promises and generosity of the honeymoon phase give the victim the false belief that everything will be all right.

Good Luck,

JR

Educational purposes answer. | FACDL.org | NACDL.org | Defendme.net | twitter.com/JReganLLM | Non-privileged answer.