I have been a married permanent resident for 4 years. what is my next step required to become a US citizen

Asked over 1 year ago - Buffalo, NY

Naturalization, does this step lead to Citizenship, and what type of time frame is the norm?

1. Nicklaus James Misiti

3

Answered . Nothing in what you stated infers you qualify for naturalization. The next step is to hire an immigration attorney and see what can be done.

2. Michael Hugh Carlin

4

Answered . Naturalization is indeed the process of becoming a US Citizenship. The application form is the N-400. Depending on many factors, you might or might not be eligible to apply. You should consult with an experienced immigration attorney in order to have the best chance of success. Time frame for the N-400 process is approximately 4-5 months.

3. J. Thomas Smith Ph.D.

Pro

2

Answered . Get an experienced attorney and apply.

4. John J. Carney

Pro

Answered . I have been practicing in Buffalo for 30 years and also have an office in Manhattan. I have handled these matters in New York state throughout those years and it is necessary to retain an experienced lawyer who can help you through the N-400 form, the interview, the test, and all of the steps that it takes to become a citizen. If these papers are not filled out properly the government will not deal with the application, it will be ignored for many years and possibly not looked at again as they have so many application that the incomplete or poorly completed ones go to the bottom of the pile. Retain a competent lawyer to fill out the N-400 to give you the best chance of a fast approval.