I have asylum US Travel Document wanted to travel to my country

Iowa City, IA |

I have my Sudanese Passport but traveling to Sudan for my father passed away

1. You should not, not even for your father's funeral. At least wait until you become a US citizen. If you now travel back to the country from which you claimed "persecution" and "fear" in order to obtain asylum, then you may not be readmitted to US and may forever give up this form of immigration relief.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

2. Don't do it. You can lose your asylum status.

This advice does not form an attorney-client relationship and is merely informative. It should not by itself be relied upon to address a legal concern.

3. Very risky proposition but very short and innocent visits may be forgiven. I have had cases when such visits were in fact forgiven but my clients had to go through very tough times on account of their visits to the countries they asked asylum from.

4. Contact an immigration attorney to help you.

Most lawyers will give you a free consultation if you ask for one. We do this all the time, but remember that our time is valuable and you should stay with the people who help you the most.