I have applied my asylum case and is pending since September 4, 2013. I fear I may be homeless if my case delays further.

Alexandria, VA |
Filed under: Political asylum

my application is new and affirmative. now is 67days since and on the second category according too the scheduling priority manual of uscis. my family is suffering there in my country, I am just on the verge of becoming homeless since the person whom I am with is forcing me to leave his home. so I am really getting frustrated as my chance of getting interview is decreasing as time goes on due to the last in first out law. so can I ask expedite interview appointment before I got to the road of DC as homeless one or any other solution that could decrease my and my families suffering. you know there is time needed to bring my families who are suffering even after my interview. I am just depressed pls help me guys as much as you can by asking even those individuals who are near to the office.

Applying for asylum does not guarantee living conditions including place of residence. Maybe you should look for a job and find a place to rent? As far as your family is concerned, large number of potential refugees who filed ahead of you are also waiting and have families. Your case will be processed in the order it was received. No sooner than that. There is no guarantee that US Government would recognize you as a refugee or grant you asylum.

Hence you have three options. 1. return to your family. 2. be patient and wait as long as it takes including taking care of your living conditions without posting on AVVO. 3. look for anther country to apply for asylum where the government takes care of the potential refugee's living conditions and family abroad

The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter,not should it be viewed as establishing an attorney client relationship of any kind.

2. The asylum backlog is many months, maybe even a year.

Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

3. As your post indicates, you are aware of the USCIS policy, first in last out. If you are having financial difficulties, even if you take a job without employment authorization, you will still be eligible for asylum. After 150 days of your filing your asylum application, you will be eligible to apply for a work permit and there is no application fee the first time.

4. I hope you have a lawyer and are well prepared for your case. If you are ready to go at short notice, your lawyer can inform the Arlington office, and they MAY take you more quickly to fill in a cancellation. Good luck.

This general information does not establish any attorney-client relationship. There may well be factors not mentioned in the question which could and should be addressed in an attorney consultation.