I have an upcoming driving on suspended license court date and I was wondering what I can expect?

Asked about 1 year ago - Rockville, MD

In the summer of 2012, I was charged with a DUI (BAC of .079) and I was also told my license was suspended during that time. About a month later, I was pulled over again and charged with driving on a suspended license. In January 2013, I was able to get my license back. In March of 2013, I went to court for my DUI charge ( it was a federal charge) and I received 6 months probation but my driving on a suspended license charge was dismissed. My court date for the second charge of driving on a suspended license is on July 25th. Will my DUI affect what happens in court? Since my license is now valid, is it possible for my charges to be dismissed and no jail time or points on my license?

1. Bennett James Wills

Pro

2

Answered . Driving while suspended is a serious charge in Maryland. There's usually two parts to this type of case: a trial, and then an administrative hearing. The DUI is part of your record, and the court will look at that. I've seen second offenses dropped before, but I've also seen people go to jail. I would recommend retaining an attorney to represent you. An attorney can evaluate your case, talk to the prosecutor, and maybe get you some kind of plea deal.

2. Mark William Oakley

1

Answered . Possible, but hire a lawyer if you can afford it. A conviction is 12 points and that will get you revoked.

3. Brandy Ann Peeples

Pro

Answered . This is a serious driving charge. Consult a traffic attorney.