I have an Unrestricted US Social Security Card, and U.S Drivers License, Non immigrant Visa , and my I-94 (B-1) is expiring.

Fairburn, GA |

I'd like to work so I could make money to seek assistance from an attorney . Any suggestions. Can I work with the Social and Drivers License. My visa is valid until 2020.

1. You're not allowed to work on a visitor's visa even if you have a social security card. You would need work authorization through a non-immigrant visa, family (marriage) based petition, or something like that. There is no good quick way to do any of that. Beware of the 3/10 year bar for overstaying a visa.

My answering this question does not form an attorney-client relationship. Always retain a qualified attorney before taking any action. My office offers free consultations.

2. You cannot work being in B-1 Status. You need to change to a different status that would allow you to work.

3. You do not appear to be authorized to work in the U.S.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.

4. In addition to the issues my colleagues have mentioned, please note that just because a B visa has a 2020 expiry date on it, it does not mean that a B visa holder can remain in the US until that time. It is the date on the I-94 which is controlling, and a person is out of status if they remain in the country beyond that time (without obtaining an extension, change of status etc).

5. You would need valid Employment Authorization Document in order to work

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 s.ouya@mainalaw.com Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104