I have an unpaid probation fine from 14 years ago in NC for DUI. It was a misdemeanor. Would I have a warrant for my arrest now?

Asked over 4 years ago - Bluefield, VA

I got a DUI in NC 14 years ago. I was put on probation and later moved back home to VA. I never paid my fines. I was a kid then, but it still worry about it. If I was to get pulled over in NC now would I go to jail?

1. Timothy Kevin Wilson

Pro

3

5

Answered . The short answer is that yes, you may have an outstanding warrant, and if you do, then yes, you may go to jail if you are pulled over and the outstanding warrant is discovered. However, this risk is not limited to North Carolina. If you are pulled over anywhere and law enforcement learn that you have an outstanding warrant, you may be taken to jail. Although I am not sure exactly what a "probation fine" is, anytime someone fails to satisfy an obligation to the Court - including payment of a fine, it is possible that the Court could issue a warrant for the arrest of that failure. At a minimum, failure to pay fine / court cost, generally results in the suspension of the license / privilege to drive. If you have survived this long without any impact on your ability to drive, I think you have been lucky. My advice is to simply contact the Court, pay the amount due and put this issue to rest.

T. Kevin Wilson, Esq.
    The Wilson Law Firm
    DUI & Criminal Defense…When Results Matter
    9300 Grant Avenue
    Suite 301
    Manassas, Virginia 20110

Telephone 703-361-6100
    Telephone 888-DUI-LWYR
    Facsimile 703-365-7988

Web: www.TheWilsonLawFirm.org

For a FREE copy of the Virginia DUI / DWI Arrest Survival Guide: The Guilt Myth, a consumer guide written by a nationally recognized Virginia DUI Defense Lawyer, visit www.TheWilsonLawFirm.org.

2. Brian Daniel Geno

3

1

Answered . Answered 03/18/2010: Because you have not paid your fines and costs regarding that DWI, you might get pulled over for that anywhere, not just NC. Although I cannot say for sure without more information, I suspect that you were found in violation of your probation. If it has not stopped you from getting a license in Virginia you are lucky. Why not contact them and pay the fine. Be done with it and have peace of mind. Good luck with this.

[Note: Consistent with Avvo policy, this communication is intended as general information and not specific legal advice, and this communication does not create an attorney-client relationship.]

Brian Geno
    Geno Law Firm
    Red Maple Court Office Condominiums
    10617 Jones Street, Suite 201-B
    Fairfax, VA 22030
    703-691-GENO (4366) Office
    703-691-4774 Fax
    info@GenoLaw.com Email
    www.NovaAttorney.com Web
    www.GenoLaw.com Web

3. Karyn T. Missimer

3

1

Answered . I do not practice in VA or NC, but I can offer some general advice. First, I agree with the first answer.

Also, you may be able to have a NC attorney determine if there is still an outstanding warrant for you in NC. If NC has a public access system like WI, you may be able to look up your case and see if there is an outstanding warrant.

If there is no outstanding warrant, then you should not need to worry.

Good luck!