I have an out of state legal action to which sol is 5 years i mistakenly brought it to NY and thought i had 6 years till i heard

Asked about 1 year ago - New York, NY

order saying wrong state. the sol has run out in the other state. can i still bring it and say "i mistakenly brought the claim in the wrong forum " to toll the sols

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Eric Edward Rothstein

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . There is no mistake toll. On what ground was it dismissed and did you file it withi n the other state's 5 yeat sol? If the defense moved to dismiss on forumnon convienens did ask the court to condition dismissal on a wai of the sol? That is what often happens.

    I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was... more
  2. Bruno Patrick Bianchi

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You should also consult with a lawyer licensed to practice in the other state to determine whether or not you have any right to sue any longer.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,258 answers this week

3,079 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,258 answers this week

3,079 attorneys answering