I have an order of protection against my husband can I live with him?

Asked over 1 year ago - Brooklyn, NY

My husband was arrested cuz of slapping me and I have an order if protection but I want to live with him so can I do that?

1. Mary Katherine Brown

Pro

1

4

Answered . It depends upon the type of order and the type of living arrangement. If it is a full "stay away" order you certainly cannot live in the same rooms, using the same entrance/exit. If you have a house with a basement or other separate rooms with separate entrance, then maybe. That said, your husband would be foolish to take the chance of being anywhere near you without witnesses that he did not violate the "stay away" order. If it is not a "stay away" and living together does not otherwise violate the terms of the order, then sure, you can live together as long as you can both behave. Good luck!

2. Howard A. Schwartz

2

Answered . Not it it is a full, stay away order of protection. The defendant can be re-arrested on felony charges if found with you. You should speak to his lawyer or hire a lawyer of your own to try and change the order to a limited one. Good luck.

3. Eric Edward Rothstein

2

Answered . Is it a full or limited order? This is a classic case of arrest regret. There isn't much you can do except speak to his lawyer and the DA. Don't be surprised if the DA isn't helpful as they will assume you are a battered spouse.

4. Joseph A Lo Piccolo

2

Answered . If it's a stay away order of protection, then no.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
    Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association
    Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
    1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
    Garden City, NY 11530
    516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)
    Jlopiccolo@hbclaw.net