I have an oral argument soon in my appeal. Should I mention I have Bipolar Disorder to the panel of Judges? It was brought up...

Santa Ana, CA |

during the trial. Bipolar Disorder can impair my judgment. I wan to make the panel of judges aware of that.

1. I would not bring it up. It is not relevant to the issues in the appeal, although it may explain your conduct in pursuing a frivolous appeal.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice or counsel. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice and counsel must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice and counsel during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice or counsel in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for advice and counsel. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

2. If you are unrepresented by counsel it doesn't make much difference what you do because the chances are great that you will lose anyway. If the bipolar disorder was not in evidence in the trial court the appellate panel hearing your appeal will not consider it. Better not to bring it up.

3. Unless it was introduced at trial for some relevant purpose, then it is irrelevant and won't be considered. Best not to mention it.

The information and legal suggestions made herein do not in any way create an attorney-client relationship. The responses provided herein discuss general principles of law and should not be relied upon by the asker in making legal decisions. Only an attorney who has met with the asker and fully reviewed the facts and circumstances of the asker's individual case should be relied upon for legal advice. If you find my suggestions helpful, please mark the appropriate box as helpful.

4. Don't bring it up, why would you? Bipolar disorder means you cycle between periods of depression and euphoria. By itself it does not include hallucinations, extreme paranoia, or a propensity towards violence. The medications prescribed for it (mood stabilizers and standard anti-depressants) do not usually induce severe reactions. I don't have any idea why or in what context your bipolar condition was brought; possibly it was brought up because you were on medication and this medication induced a severe reaction tantamount to intoxication which then arguably vitiated your specific intent. This is all idle speculation obviously. Unless your condition was directly related to your defense at trial (and it's an issue on appeal), I wouldn't bring it up. The judges will already (unfortunately) view you as less than stable to be representing yourself in an appellate mater of this sort, you needn't confirm their suspicions by alerting them that you're suffering from bipolar disorder. Good luck.