Skip to main content

I have an open CS case for Domestic Violence in my household . Can I move to a different state ?

New York, NY |

I am the victim of the Domestic Violence and my children witnessed it . . . CS came and removed myself and my children from the household and put us in my mothers very small apartment . . . My question is . . . I got offered a job in the state of Florida , can my children and I move to Florida even if we have this case open ?

acs CASE

Attorney Answers 3

  1. You have to speak to CS. The father has some rights.

    Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
    Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
    Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
    1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
    Garden City, NY 11530
    516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)

    I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.

  2. Once you are under the supervision of CPS, it is very important to discuss your plans with them. Although it is hard to move if there is a court case going on with CPS, it is not impossible. I strongly urge you to seek some legal advice and other types of assistance from a free domestic violence services agency, to help you navigate this process. There are many in New York City; if you call (800) 621-4673 you can ask for a list. There may also be a list in the court house. Best of luck.

    * This information is general legal information and is not intended to be advice on your particular case.

  3. Speal to ACS first as they may consent. Ultimately if you & the child are under ACS court-ordered supervision, you may need permission of the Judge to relocate. Indeed, the father of your children would need to be notified & has a right to be heard on your request to relocate. That said, I encourage you to schedule a free consultation with a NYC Domesic Violence lawyer.

    * If you found my answer to be helpful, or the "best answer," please feel free to mark it accordingly.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics