I have an open CS case for Domestic Violence in my household . Can I move to a different state ?

New York, NY |

I am the victim of the Domestic Violence and my children witnessed it . . . CS came and removed myself and my children from the household and put us in my mothers very small apartment . . . My question is . . . I got offered a job in the state of Florida , can my children and I move to Florida even if we have this case open ?

acs CASE

You have to speak to CS. The father has some rights.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
Garden City, NY 11530
516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)
Jlopiccolo@hbclaw.net

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.

The father does not have a problem...

Joseph A Lo Piccolo

Joseph A Lo Piccolo

Ok--then speak to the CS worker. You will likely need the Courts permission.. Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq. Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12' Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo 1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200 Garden City, NY 11530 516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f) Jlopiccolo@hbclaw.net

Once you are under the supervision of CPS, it is very important to discuss your plans with them. Although it is hard to move if there is a court case going on with CPS, it is not impossible. I strongly urge you to seek some legal advice and other types of assistance from a free domestic violence services agency, to help you navigate this process. There are many in New York City; if you call (800) 621-4673 you can ask for a list. There may also be a list in the court house. Best of luck.

* This information is general legal information and is not intended to be advice on your particular case.

Speal to ACS first as they may consent. Ultimately if you & the child are under ACS court-ordered supervision, you may need permission of the Judge to relocate. Indeed, the father of your children would need to be notified & has a right to be heard on your request to relocate. That said, I encourage you to schedule a free consultation with a NYC Domesic Violence lawyer.

* If you found my answer to be helpful, or the "best answer," please feel free to mark it accordingly.