I have an open bench warrant in mass and have to fly too atlanta will i get arrested at the airport?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Boston, MA

this is a bench warrant issued for failure to appear for a probation violation hearing. the charge is a misdemeanor.

1. Steven R. Ballard

Pro

Answered . It is very unlikely that the TSA will check you at the airport for outstanding warrants. That said, I would be more worried about being pulled over by law enforcement while on the road. Anything that gets you pulled over by law enforcement will lead to your apprehension on the open bench warrant. Also of course you run the risk of being arrested in Georgia if you are pulled over for something there.

You had better face the music as soon as possible. It is a failure to appear at a probation violation hearing for a misdemeanor? You should straighten this out as soon as possible with the court in question. Of course it is best to hire a lawyer to help you with this, unless you are eligible for a free lawyer (bar advocate) to be appointed by the court, if you are indigent.

2. Steven R. Ballard

Pro

3. Gregory Casale

Answered . Unfortunately, there is no way to give you a detefinative answer to this question. I do not know what the likliness is or what the odds are that you will or will not be arrested, but there is certainly a chance that with the hightened level of security at airports these days, that someone may be looking for open criminal warrants. Although your's is for a minor issue (failure to appear for probation meeting), there is no guarantee that an airport security officer will overlook the warrant, due to it's nature. I would suggest that you try to hire an attorney who can get into court on an emergency basis to get the warrant recalled at least for now and set a date for yout o go there to resolve the underlying issue. Good luck.