I have an interview to become a citizen; however, I have lost my greencard. Will this be a problem?

Asked almost 5 years ago - Chicago, IL

I need to know if I will be granted citizenship if I don't have my alien card with me.

Additional information

Thank you both for answering my question. Luckily, my wallet was found and hand delivered to my home by a very generous and honest cab driver. I was fortunate that none of the contents in my wallet were stolen, including my alien card.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Elizabeth Rompf Bruen

    Contributor Level 9

    Answered . With all due respect to Mr. Mayer Kantor, I respectfully disagree. I notice that the poster is from Chicago. I am an immigration attorney in Chicago and our local office does not deny naturalization applications for this reason. I have had clients in this situation in the past, and I made an INFOPASS appointment for them to meet with an information officer before their naturalization interview. We brought their N-400 receipt and unexpired passport and asked that an I-551 stamp be placed in their passport to use as evidence of their permanent resident status until their naturalization case was approved.


    Elizabeth Rompf Bruen
    Attorney at Law

    Scott D. Pollock & Associates, P.C.
    105 W. Madison Street, Suite 2200
    Chicago, IL 60602
    Phone: 312-444-1940
    Fax: 312-444-1950

    Please be sure to visit our recently renovated website at www.lawfirm1.com.

  2. Eli Mayer Kantor

    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . Yes. Immigration will not give you your certificate of naturalization until you give them your old green card. You can file an I-90 for a duplicate and when you get it, give it to them. The other alternative is to file a police report and/or convince them that you have really lost it. However, it has been my experience that they will not give youyour naturalization certificate until you give them your old green card.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,504 answers this week

2,989 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,504 answers this week

2,989 attorneys answering