I have an interview to become a citizen; however, I have lost my greencard. Will this be a problem?

Chicago, IL |

I need to know if I will be granted citizenship if I don't have my alien card with me.

Thank you both for answering my question. Luckily, my wallet was found and hand delivered to my home by a very generous and honest cab driver. I was fortunate that none of the contents in my wallet were stolen, including my alien card.

Yes. Immigration will not give you your certificate of naturalization until you give them your old green card. You can file an I-90 for a duplicate and when you get it, give it to them. The other alternative is to file a police report and/or convince them that you have really lost it. However, it has been my experience that they will not give youyour naturalization certificate until you give them your old green card.

With all due respect to Mr. Mayer Kantor, I respectfully disagree. I notice that the poster is from Chicago. I am an immigration attorney in Chicago and our local office does not deny naturalization applications for this reason. I have had clients in this situation in the past, and I made an INFOPASS appointment for them to meet with an information officer before their naturalization interview. We brought their N-400 receipt and unexpired passport and asked that an I-551 stamp be placed in their passport to use as evidence of their permanent resident status until their naturalization case was approved.

Elizabeth Rompf Bruen
Attorney at Law

Scott D. Pollock & Associates, P.C.
105 W. Madison Street, Suite 2200
Chicago, IL 60602
Phone: 312-444-1940
Fax: 312-444-1950

Please be sure to visit our recently renovated website at

Recommended articles about Immigration