I have an internet loan from a year ago that I have not paid. they keep theartening me with jail time can they really do this?

I am trying to pay back other loan companies right now. I joined a debt relief progarm but this company won't work with them. I plan on paying them back. I just don't have the means right now. I have 3 kids and I am single mom.

Reno, NV -

Richard Edmund Hawkins

Richard Edmund Hawkins

Chapter 11 Bankruptcy Attorney - Las Vegas, NV

You cannot be jailed for a civil debt. Making such a threat is a violation of the FDCPA, among other things.

Call a local consumer law attorney; there are statutory penalties and attorney fees available.

Bennett James Wills

Bennett James Wills

Contracts / Agreements Lawyer - Baltimore, MD

They cannot threaten you with jail time. That is a violation of the Fair Debt Practices Act. You need to contact a consumer attorney immediately. You have rights that need to be protected and not only could you maybe get the debt discharged, but get money from the debt collector as well for the violations.