Skip to main content

I have an immigration question. I am a minor filing I-539 to change my non-immigrant status...

Los Angeles, CA |

Can I sign the I-539 by myself or since I am 17 my father/mother needs to sign I-539 on my behalf?

Attorney Answers 5

  1. You can sign it. Speak with a qualified immigration attorney.

    The answer provided is general in nature and should not be construed as legal advice as not all facts are know by the attorney, nor does the answering of this question create an attorney client relationship.

  2. You can sign...... BUT ... you should talk to a lawyer to make sure you qualify.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- -- -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

  3. You can sign the form.

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

  4. While you can sign it, is there any reason why you don't want your parent to sign it?
    Prior to filing any immigration application you should consult with an immigration attorney.

    Avvo makes it clear to consumers that attorney answers to questions are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship. Please note further that any answer is based on a general question and other facts which are not disclosed may change the answer. The information provided is not legal advice but only intended to provide general information. Immigration law is complex and no one should make decisions without consulting a qualified attorney.

  5. You can sign

    John Lassen 1-877-252-4630

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics