I have an idea i would like to patent I have no money to do this, how would i go about patenting this idea.

Asked over 1 year ago - Rodeo, CA

This idea also involves The NFL for marketing, I do not have the business skills or money to produce this idea. I'm interested in selling my idea, but have a fear that if I don't patent I will be ripped off. is there a firm that can be suggested to help market this idea or a trusted party interested in purchasing ideas.

1. Daniel Nathan Ballard

3

Answered . Ideas are brain farts. Everyone has them. With no money or business skills you have no means to turn your particular ideas into a business. Period. You should read a few of the books linked-to below on how to license potential business opportunities. NO ONE, however, will do your job of converting your ideas into a business plan. You have to do that work [at least on paper] and then, maybe, someone may take you seriously enough to simply listen to what you have to say. Again, everyone has ideas. Only those who have the money, time, know-how and experience to convert those ideas into a business make money exploiting their ideas. Everyone else's ideas die on the vine.

You should also attend meetings of inventor and entrepreneur groups -- visit the website linke-to below to search for such groups in your area.

2. John Michael Kington II

3

Answered . There are law schools with intellectual property clinics that can help individuals similar to yourself. However, due to liability/ malpractice risks, I do not know any that deal with patent prosecution. My suggestion would be to get your hands on a good nondisclosure agreement and look for investors. There are companies online that purchase potential patents from inventors or split the money. However in my experience they places are excellent at stealing your idea with little repercussion on your side. I would at least talk to a patent attorney and see about getting a provisional patent filed. That would give you a year of openly looking to market the idea to the nfl or look for investors. Beware by talking or offering your idea to people you can initiate a time bar which you need to discuss with a patent attorney.

3. Dariush G. Adli

Answered . Short Answer: Your best option is to go on to the USPTO website and file a provisional patent application yoursefl. it costs something like $130. If you can't afford that much, you can try to write to potential interested companies and describe you ides in general terms, without disclosing the invnetion, and hope that someone picks up the idea and runs with it. Good luck.

4. Mario Sergio Golab

1

Answered . An idea cannot be patented, you need an invention. An invention is something that is practical, new, and not obvious to a person of ordinary skill in the area of the invention. Marketing/business plans per se are not inventions and with some exceptions, they are not patentable. You need to discuss details with a patent attorney
    You need to invest one hour to talk with a patent attorney to evaluate whether your idea is actually an invention and if so whether it can be protected through a patent. If not, there may be other ways to protect your "idea".
    Unfortunately protection is just one half of the equation, the other half is defense. Since you do not have the means to protect, you will have even less to defend.
    In your situation I would just start the business without applying for a patent.

5. David Wade Barman

1

Answered . Hi. You must proceed cautiously. If you have no patent and no confidential disclosure agreement, you have no protection. First, you must understand that the patent office is a service in which fees are required for service. All applicants must pay government filing fees. A few suggestions, possibly see if you can find an attorney working pro bono with small business to prepare a non-diclosure agreement. Learn how to write a business plan (lots of resources online). The only thing to do is to raise money by locating a business partner. But, BE CAREFUL. Good Luck.