I have an employee with a social security number and drivers license, but no green card. Is she legal to work in the US?

Asked over 1 year ago - Corona, CA

She entered US with Mexican Passport and was given a social security card based on her passport, but no green card.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Carl Michael Shusterman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . What did she check on Section One of the I-9 form?

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration... more
  2. Parva Fattahi

    Contributor Level 9


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . She could be eligible for work without having a green card. Consult the guidelines in form I-9 (Employment Verification Eligibility). You can find it on www.uscis.gov, under Forms tab. There are a host of documents that could make a person eligible to work and they are listed in I-9 form.

  3. F. J. Capriotti III

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with my colleagues. Read the I-9 instructions closely and, if still in doubt, meet with an attorney.

    Be careful about the anti-discrimination law that may 'kick in' if you ask for more documents.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It... more
  4. Alexander Joseph Segal

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . No on these facts

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS www.myattorneyusa.com; email: info@myattorneyusa.com; Phone: (866)... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,859 answers this week

3,046 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,859 answers this week

3,046 attorneys answering