I have an EEOC case & a Worker's compensation case against my employer. Can I suspend or pend my worker's compensation case?

Cleveland, OH |

My EEOC case is for disability discrimination & retaliation & is worth more money than my workers' compensation case. My employer wants to do a deposition on my workers' comp case. I feel this gives them an unfair advantage to information on my EEOC case. So I want to temporarily stop my Workers' comp case from being assigned to a hearing. Is this possible? (my worker's comp attorney dumped my case because he feels like he is working for free, since the company may settle everything during mediation at the EEOC.)

Let me be plain. You are talking nonsense.

They are separate causes of action. You get no weekly benefits from the discrimination case. You CANNOT refuse to pay your WC attorney for work performed. Your only choices on the WC case are to proceed or to dismiss the claim.

You can be deposed in either case. What's the difference? What does your attorney say?

If this information has been helpful, please indicate by clicking the up icon. Legal Disclaimer: Mr. Candiano is licensed to practice law in Illinois and Indiana. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Links: CJCandiano@CandianoLaw.com http://www.CandianoLaw.com

Since you already have an attorney you really need to sit down with them and discuss your situation.

DISCLAIMER: David J. McCormick is licensed to practice law in the State of Wisconsin and this answer is being provided for informational purposes only because the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship.

Get another WC attorney

Attorneys on Avvo donate their time and your feedback is appreciated. Be sure to mark the "Best Answer" or Helpful" to your questions.