I have an EB2 application via consular processing, got engaged recently. When is the best time for me to get married?

Asked about 1 year ago - Las Vegas, NV

I want to be able to be with my future wife when I leave for the US, once the EB2 application gets approved. Which would make this process easier? Getting married prior OR after getting I-140 approval?

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

14

Answered . Get married immediately.

2. Laura L Lichter

4

Best Answer

Answered . You have to be married before you obtain status in order for your wife to be included. The question is not how long you have been married, but whether you can prove that the marriage is real (and not for immigration purposes), if there are questions at the consulate. For some, that means getting married right away, but if you are trying to arrange a family wedding or there are other concerns, don't be worried about marry "later" so long as you are legally married BEFORE you become a permanent resident.

3. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

4

1

Answered . Either way will be OK and your future wife will be able to obtain her GC at the same ti,e as you, as long as you two get married prior to you obtaining LPR status. Of course, the sooner you marry, the better.