I have an attorney and moved my case to September 9th and it is a burglary misdeamoner case and he knows all the DA's

Asked about 1 month ago - Valencia, CA

What's most likely going to be my punishments for this case

1. Jay Scott Finnecy

Pro

5

Answered . Dear Valencia--speak with your attorney about this. That's why you hired him. Chances are you are facing informal probation and no jail time, but a theft offense can be devastating to your future even without jail. Spend some time talking with your lawyer.

Experienced Criminal Defense Attorney--Free Consultations--call or email today.
  2. Hazel-Lynne Ocampo Espejo

5

Answered . This is a question you should be discussing with your attorney. You should not go into any details on this public forum, but it is impossible to answer your question without knowing more information. For instance, how many counts are you facing? Are you charged with any other offenses?

Second degree burglary is a wobbler, meaning the prosecutor can charge it as a misdemeanor or felony. If you are charged with a misdemeanor, you are facing up to one year in county jail for each count.

3. Kresta Nora Daly

Pro

4

Answered . This is the kind of question you really need to ask your lawyer about. Any answer I gave you here would be way too speculative because I don't have all the information. Call your lawyer and ask to set up a meeting before your next court date - that way you can get all of your questions answered.

4. Joseph Briscoe Dane

Pro

3

Answered . An additional observation based on your question...

You said "he knows all the DAs" . . . we all know each other. If that was their main selling point, make sure you know that - friendly or not - no DA is going to tank their career or do something unusual just because your attorney is "friends with them".

5. John David Rogers

2

Answered . Ask your lawyer, that is why you spent money on hiring them. It depends upon your prior criminal record and circumstances of the alleged offense. Best of luck!

6. David S. Kestenbaum

Pro

1

Answered . Your lawyer knows much more about your case, so is in the best position to answer. Have you asked him what the offer is? If the case is in Newhall Superior Court, they would make an offer that includes 3 years of informal probation and a stay away. The variables are whether they ask for any jail time, community labor time or just a fine. Usually these cases are glorified shoplifting cases where they have evidence that you had the intent to steal upon entering the store. If that is the case, there may be specific defenses available based on the store's knowledge as imparted by their loss prevention employee.
    If you ask your attorney what the offer is and put that in your question, those of us who work in that court every day can tell you if it is reasonable. But first just discuss it with your attorney who should tell you what the offer is at this point.

7. Andrew Stephen Roberts

Pro

1

Answered . Discuss this with your attorney. He will have some idea of what you are facing.

ANDREW ROBERTS CRIMINAL AND TRAFFIC TICKET DEFENSE ATTORNEY
  8. Matthew Murillo

Pro

1

Answered . If you have an attorney, that has already made an appearance on your case, and has all the relevant information, why wouldn't you be asking your attorney that question?

We have no idea what your case looks like so how could we tell you what to expect?

9. Robert Lee Marshall

1

Answered . The worst-case scenario for a misdemeanor burglary is a year in county jail. If convicted, you might get probation, with time served.

However, before you get ANY punishment, you would have to be convicted. If your case is dismissed, or you are found not guilty at trial, then you walk away.

Which of these outcomes is most likely? Your attorney can answer that question after reviewing all of the evidence and other important factors, like your criminal record, but strangers on the Internet can only guess.

10. Brian Russell Michaels

Pro

1

Answered . Why are u asking us? Ask the attorney who knows all the DA's.......

11. James Roy Dickinson

Pro

Answered . A misdemeanor is available only for commercial burglary charges. It carries up to one year in county jail, $1000 fine and/or summary probation.