I have an arrest warrant from three years ago, If I turn myself in, can I bond myself out?

Asked 8 months ago - Indianapolis, IN

It was a charge for "dealing in marijuana" was never formally charged or arrested though. Is the warrant still valid? How long can a warrant remain outstanding and what if I live in another state now?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. John Douglas Razumich

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Probable Cause Warrants CAN expire in Indiana if they aren't served within a specific amount of time, but that really doesn't solve your problem as the State could just ask that the Court reissue a new warrant. If the warrant is a rearrest warrant for failing to appear at a hearing (that you may not have even been aware of) it never expires.

    Ultimately, the offense you described is normally a Class D Felony, and your bond could range anywhere from $100-$500 to be released from custody, depending on the county where the charges were filed. Your best bet is to contact an attorney in the county where the charges were filed and ask for their help in discovering that information. It may be possible to arrange both your surrender and release from custody in a short amount of time if you have all of the appropriate information.

  2. Gregory Brant Spencer


    Contributor Level 9


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with the previous answer. You need to contact an attorney who can then contact the prosecutor and the court on your behalf. You need to know if the warrant is still valid, does the state even want to pursue the charge at this point, and if you do find yourself facing prosecution, it is very likely that you can arrange to appear in court, surrender yourself, and be released from custody in a matter of hours. It might even be possible to arrange for a complete disposition at that time as well. Certainly call an attorney. The last thing you want to have happen is to get stopped for a speeding ticket in the middle of Utah, this warrant show up on your record and then be held in Utah pending extradition. Even if the State of Indiana declines to extradict on this charge, you still might sit in jail for a few days until they figure it all out.

  3. James Robert Emerson


    Contributor Level 11

    Answered . I agree. You need to contact an attorney to contact the prosecutor and the court on your behalf.

    JR Emerson is licensed to practice law in Indiana and practices throughout central Indiana. Mr. Emerson's... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,138 answers this week

2,959 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,138 answers this week

2,959 attorneys answering