I have an arrest record that I will like to get expunged. Do dissmissed cases get sealed automaticaly? Want to expunged arrest

Bronx, NY |

The incident happened in the Bronx and no charges were ever filed. I have a copy of the disposition paper and the only thing that appears on the disposition is what the clerk wrote at the botton that no charges were filed and stamped the paper with a seal. It was a domestic violence incident and previouly he had violated the order of protection that I have against him. He stole from me and attacked me I just defended myself

That should be sealed automatically. Is it stamped SEALED? NY does not expunge.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

There is no way to expunge a criminal record in NY. Under certain circumstances a criminal record can be sealed. An arrest alone would not give you a criminal record. If any information about your arrest appears on your State rap sheet, which you can request yourself from Albany, you may be able to contact them to get that entry removed. You can also hire an attorney to look into the matter for you.

Non-prosecuted arrests are sealed. There is no expungement in NY state.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
Garden City, NY 11530
516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.